Google WWW lomi40.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 21, 2006

TNPCEE saga..

This article i wrote abt 1 yr ago when TNPCEE saga was really on and ppl were discussin like whether there will be TNPCEE exam at all after our great amma had done all tat usual hoolah boolah she is famous fr.

TNPCEE Saga


Mmmmm the exam fr which i broke my head and enede up getting a coveted seat in aeronautical engineering program of madras institute of tech, chennai. Man that was awesome fr me. I loved that pattern where almost every skill of urs was tested. You had to be a mugger cum hard worker to get thro that 200 marks of board exam. And it was not all, u also shd have that craftiness to get the required marks in entrance as well. Come on guys out there tell me which other entrance exam was so complete in making. I think TNPCEE testing was one such entrance exam. I scored abt 286 on 300 and was ranker around 1800's. And ofcourse i loved every bit of it.

I had no problems with it. Neither did my friend from my school or any in my city. So then why is this system being scrapped so asks any chennai lad walking down the street. The answer they get is very difficult to digest fr two reasons, one it means their uture has been toyed with by some so called politicans and also that they were not all informed abt this earlier, now thats totally unfair, brutal anddoenst deserve any justification.

Now wat does our beloved amma say, she says that it benefits rural students. Now let me talk frm rural students angle. Also let me tell u guys abt my knowledge on rural students of tamilnadu. During my TNPCEE time there was this same system but unlike last year for one special year in tamilnadu engineering entrance history there was 25% rural quota for the first as well as for the last time. This was history, as far as i remembre there was no people or student opposing this (i mean city lads) but ofcourse no city lad cud digest it. Now having said this, wat this meant was 25% of my college were rural ppl plus some more as well. Thus I have interacted this fellows and wud share my experience.



First case, a guy whose dad is nothing but cycle pucture shop owner, he has two sons both get thro using rural quota to this prestigious institution. One was senior to me by a year(that year there was 15% rural quota) and other my set. Both get placed in well to do companies (ofcourse are earning arnd 20k per month each)

Second case, his dad a farmer, hasnt seen more than some 2 or 3k in whole now earns 22 k in MNC called IBM.

Third case, a guy whose dad isnt even alive and is now very happy earning and saving his money fr his mom.

Now these were very few of the so many cases that I did observe in my own college, there shd so many hundered cases elsewhere as well. Now at that very moment I felt these quotas were justified but then I also saw hundred cases where students struggled cudnt speak more than two words of english, studied in tamil medium schools and were struggling. They always kept disance from city lads and also many eneded up struggling to find jobs but eventually did get some job or the other.

Having said all this, people might think I side rural quota, my answer is yes and no. yes fr the moment not just in tamilnadu but also whole india and ofcourse I dont mean have it in every damn college, have it only in some top 50 engg colleges in India. Reason was ofcourse mentioned above. For a city lad an engg degree frm top rated college in country means a difference either only to him or his family whereas fr a rural quota ppl it means a difference to his whole village. Thats wat wud transform this nation into a force to reckon with and that wat we need as well. We dont need CEO's and business tycoons to be working in US rather we needto see that there is not a single soul who sleeps hungry in this country.



But also I said NO to the question coz wat i eventually want my government to do is not to just give them quotas but build it up slowly in 5 to 10 years such that in that time, the rural students are able to beat the heck out of thsi city lads without any quotas. Give them facilities. I know thousands of rural students who didn have house to study, didn have power like u guys, didn have bed to sleep after the hard studied day. Give them these facilities plus the lecturers as well. I don say all this is not there but u know how much it is and even what is there is nothing but eyewash. Wat we need is ingle minded purpose to transform these people frm rural into something totally classy.

Ok these all might sound bit jazzy not practical but i believe its very much one and if i was given a chance to be the CM of this state that wud be the foremost idea in my mind. Coz as gandhiji said india lives in villages. Another thing is we always are selfish but tats okkkk as long as u are in ur family but once u come out u gotta think as an indian and not as a family man.

I have given loads of suggestions as well as my thoughts on this issue and now coming back to real issue, I believe if at all u wanna help rural whether its fr votes or fr real symphathy, the better system was the one which was during my year (remember there is 0% rural quota fr last 2 years as well as this year). This wud mean 25% rural ppl will face the real world and that wud also mean they will come out of their villages and face the music and understand what is what. I know a rural guy who didn know how computer looked like when he entered in first year and now he can write C programs that cud mock mocrosoft paint software. Ahhhh tats a development. I know u guys wud lose some coveted seat but my suggestion is there is more happiness in giving than taking. Also these rural quota shdnt apply to mkore than top 20 or 30 colleges otherwise there is no meaning in it. Coz tats where the real development is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»